With news of the new director of AIIMS Delhi having been appointed to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences of the national capital, Delhi, we are curious to know who is this exceptional figure. To answer your question, Doctor Srinivas M, who was the former dean of Employees State Insurance Company (ESIC) Hospital and Medical College in Hyderabad has been appointed as the new director of AIIMS Delhi. So who is Dr Srinivas? What are the notable achievements of Dr Srinivas and his backstory? Let us read further to know more.
Who Is Dr Srinivas M?
Early Life and Education of Dr Srinivas M
Doctor Srinivas M was born on August 11, 1966, in the Yadgir district of Karnataka to mother Saroja and father Ashappa. He completed his primary education in the Kannada Government High School which was a state board school.
All his pre-university education has been done in Kannada medium as well. Later he took admission to Vijayanagar Institute of Medical Sciences and received his MBBS degree. He did his masters, MCh (Master of Chirurgiae), from AIIMS, Delhi. He was also a gold medallist in both MBBS and MS.
Dr Srinivas Appointed As The New Director Of AIIMS Delhi
Dr Srinivas has an experience of over 30 years in the field of medical practice. In the year 1994, he joined AIIMS, and later, in 2011 he took charge as a professor of pediatric surgery. After 5 years of teaching, Dr Srinivas shifted to the ESIC Hospital and Medical College in 2016, moving to Hyderabad. His name was included as a candidate by the search-cum-selection committee for the director headed by Prime Minister Modi on 20th June this year.
The order of appointment of Dr Srinivas as the new director of AIIMS Delhi for the next five years was issued by the department of personnel and training on 24th September, Friday after the prior director’s term came to an end on March 25.
Achievements of Dr Srinivas
Some of the notable achievements of Dr Srinivas are:
- Doctor Srinivas introduced biometric attendance in AIIMS to ensure proper work culture.
- He formed an online and transparent doctors’ recruitment system which awarded scores and medals to doctors on the basis of their research papers.
- He helped in getting the NABH (National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers) accreditation for ESIC.
- There is a major contribution of Dr Srinivas in the starting of 10+ medical colleges and he also pushed for the introduction of super specialty courses for post-graduation in these institutes.
- He has written 200+ research papers, as per his AIIMS profile.
- Doctor Srinivas is also awarded numerous fellowships, including a clinical research fellowship from National Children’s Research Center, Dublin.
For more related articles, Visit Current Affairs